Trade Problems & Barriers: Trade Problems
My products are held up in customs, what should I do?
If your company is experiencing a problem with a foreign customs house, make sure you’ve correctly identified the problem.
Most common customs-related problems:
* Duties higher than anticipated
* Customs office won't clear the shipment to your buyer/importer
* Customs office invoking health, sanitary, or safety issues
* Labeling issues involving a certificate of origin, weight, ingredients, marks, etc.
* Inadequate documentation provided by the exporter
* Issues involving the import or packing regulations of the receiving country
To resolve customs problems, try the following:
* Involve the buyer/importer. Chances are they can help or at least find out what needs to be done to resolve the problem.
* Involve your shipping company. Most shippers are responsive to the customs problems faced by their customers.
* Involve your insurance company.
* Contact the foreign customs' office.
* contact your local Pennsylvania Regional Export Network (REN) Partner to determine if they have in-country connections that can assist.
« Back to Trade Problems & Barriers